Home » Forums » Fishing Locations » Chiang Mai » Chiang Mai in April/May
  • Topic:

Chiang Mai in April/May

0 vote(s)
    • March 5, 2016 6:58 AM
      • Thanks

Chiang Mai in April/May

Question for the expats living in North Thailand,

How bad is the smoke in the spring months when locals are burning their ricefields? 

We are revamping our travelplang with my girlfriend and will propably return to Thailand bit earlier than we first planned. 

We know it is really hot around that time in the north but thats managable. Smoke everywhere would be a different thing.

• March 9, 2016 10:45 AM
    • (Moderator)
      • Thanks

Re: Chiang Mai in April/May

Hi Severi,

Apologies for the late response, I have been flat out working on another project and completely forgot to check the forums for a few days (and Tony is currently working in the UK).

OK, so the smoke so far this year hasn't been too bad, however, the worst may yet be to come, it's very hard to tell. Generally speaking though by April the worst is over and like you said it's just hot as hell, but the air is usually back to normalish by Songkran, middle of April.

As soon as the first rain comes, the burning stops and you're good to go, there may still be a bit going on here and there but nothing worse than Bangkok on a normal day for example.

If you are coming I would say the best dates are for just after Songkran around the 20th, you miss the crazyness and the air is normalish. Allot of expats return to the North around that time, so it's a good time to be in the area for meeting people.

If you're coming let me know, it would be good to share a line in the water - I will be away in April and back early May.

• March 10, 2016 5:44 PM
      • Thanks

Thanks for the info FA! We'll most likely come to Chiang Mai around early/mid May.

I'll definately keep you informed, it would be great to go fishing and maybe even knock diwn a couple of icy Changs!

• March 10, 2016 5:51 PM
    • (Moderator)
      • Thanks

Fishing and beer - I am always up for! Hot as hell here now, 36 degrees today, will be 39 degrees tomorrow...

Interesting post by the way over here:

https://www.fishingasia.com/group/7/maggot-breeding-in-thailand

Cheers.

• May 13, 2016 9:49 AM
      • Thanks

Hello guys, what's the best place to buy fishing stuff and terminal tackle in Chiang Mai? Preferably close to old town. I'd need some floats, feeders and small stuff like glass beads for bobber stoppers.

We'll arrive in Chiang Mai at the 25th of May but leave for Pai the next day. Then we come back to Chiang Mai on the 31th of May and stay there for 6 days. I'm planning to go back to Chiang Mai fishing park for a day to get confident in playing big fish with my new rod and then have two fishing days in Go'B's hoping to catch an Amazon Redtail.

By the way, does anyone have info, tips etc about Pai Piranha fishing park? We'll be staying there when we go to Pai.

Thanks!

• May 13, 2016 10:25 AM
    • (Moderator)
      • Thanks

Hi Mate,

The best tackle shop in Chinag Mai is here:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/18%C2%B046'14.6%22N+98%C2%B058'42.8%22E/@18.770721,98.961046,14.11z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x0!8m2!3d18.770713!4d98.978564

Let us know when you're going to Go'B and we'll pop down for a beer - not sure if Tony will be back in Thailand by then but me and Simon will be here for sure.

Haven't fished Pai Piranha yet, get some pictures and we'll add them to the listing!

Cheers,

Tom.

• May 13, 2016 11:44 AM
      • Thanks

Thanks! I'll keep you guys posted! I will also take some pictures from Pai. 

• May 13, 2016 11:47 AM
    • (Moderator)
      • Thanks

Thanks, look forward to a couple of cold ones later in the month....

Icon Legend and Forum Rights
  • Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is closed
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or Cancel