Home » Forums » Fishing Locations » Bangkok & Surrounding Areas » Mae Klong River fishing
  • Topic:

Mae Klong River fishing

1 vote
    • January 8, 2016 1:11 AM
      • Thanks

Mae Klong River fishing

Hi all. As I was saying in another thread, I am trying to talk my wife into a seven day package that includes a day on the Mae Klong River fishing for freshwater stingray. Have any of you done this? Are stingray hard to catch? Before visiting the Palm Tree Lagoon's website, I thought stingray could only be caught in the ocean, which I am wary of. Knowing there are freshwater stingray has me excited now because it opens up a species of fish I thought I'd probably never catch!

• January 9, 2016 6:25 PM
      • Thanks

Re: Mae Klong River fishing

Why do you want to catch a sting ray Tim?  When ocean fishing, we avoid them if at all possible.  They are not called "Sting" rays for nothing.

• January 20, 2016 9:06 AM
    • (Moderator)
      • Thanks

Mark Jones - Why wouldn't you want to catch a Freshwater stingray, they are the largest freshwater fish in the world.

No they are not easy to catch, on some waters you are looking at a target period of 2hrs in the morning and 2hrs in the afternoon.

These leviathans can grow in excess of 800lb so look forward to at least couple of hours of back breaking action if you do hook one.

• January 20, 2016 5:31 PM
      • Thanks

Wow, who wouldn't want to fish for that.

So you can catch them in Thai Rivers & large paddling pools bet it scares the shit out the kids.

Is that you or Zeb Hogan from Monster Fish in the picture?

• January 20, 2016 6:00 PM
    • (Moderator)
      • Thanks

Well spotted it is Zeb Hogan from National Geographic's Monster Fish, he is also a research professor at the Uni of Nevada. He has wriiten many papers on Thailand's fish and the fragile aquatic ecosystem.

More important perhaps id the woman on the left - I believe she is Dr Nantarika Chansue (Dr Ning) who carries out research on the Giant Freshwater Stingray on behalf of the Chulalongkorn University and the Thai Department of Fisheries. She really is the worlds foremost expert on the species. Hence the fish is in a giant paddling pool.

If you do fish for this species make sure you guides are working with this woman, all the major reputable companies do. Tim the company you are looking to book with works with her team so that's cool.

Mark is quite right they ain't called stingrays for nothing, they do have a sting in their tail. The one on these bad boys can be over 14" and is like a bayonet and full of venom, but the guys you fish with are experts at this and will wrap the tail and make sure everything is safe before the angler comes anywhere near the fish.

Icon Legend and Forum Rights
  • Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is closed
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or Cancel