Home » Forums » General Fishing Forum » Tackle, Technique & Bait Questions » Baits & Techniques for Chao Phraya Catfish
  • Topic:

Baits & Techniques for Chao Phraya Catfish

1 vote
    • January 9, 2016 2:43 PM
      • Thanks

Baits & Techniques for Chao Phraya Catfish

We had a question from Severi Miettinen on the Go B fishing park page about baits & tactics for Chao Phraya.

My answer was vague at best as I have been targeting the Red Tails in there. Now part of the appeal of this forum is that we are all experienced anglers who have a real passion for fishing. So to give the best answer we can I am gonna target just Chao Phraya Catfish over the next few weeks, or until I get a biggun.

Any suggestions on bait and tactis would be appreciated. Severi suggest squid, so that will be my first line of attack and after a conversation with Fish Asia last night about this and we recon float fished squid on one at about 3 meters in 16 meter depth of water and the second rod with a live tilapia at about 1.5 meter depth.

I am now off to research other baits and tactics, so will keep you posted with any developments.

• January 9, 2016 6:38 PM
      • Thanks

Re: Baits & Techniques for Chao Phraya Catfish

Found this rig to allow the bait to swim freely and stops the hook masking. Going to try this as my live baiting float rig using Nile Tilapia.

• January 10, 2016 2:39 AM
      • Thanks

That's an interesting setup, Tony. I've never seen anything like that before.. but then I don't typically use fish for live bait here -- just worms, crickets, etc. Have you had a chance to use it yet? 

• January 10, 2016 7:33 AM
      • Thanks

Have you tried cut bait? This takes fishing to a whole other level in my opinion. Which fish are more attracted to the idfferent types the cuts come from, how big the cuts should be etc...

• January 10, 2016 8:40 AM
      • Thanks

Simon, we have been using cut baits for the Red Tails hard on the bottom for the Red Tail Catfish. Gonna try squid and live bait to start with today, next line of attack if this fails will be cut baits. In his original question Severi talked about a mix of squid and fish on a hair rig so will also try this.

Benji, No I have never used this rig. Usually I lip hook or hook through the back when using live baits. If the rig doesn't tangle then it show present a nice swimming bait, I'm not sure how it will work but worth a try

• January 10, 2016 8:42 AM
      • Thanks

Appolgies for spelling, just woke up.

• January 11, 2016 12:07 AM
      • Thanks

Well another good meet up of Chiang Mai contingant of the forum today. The company was excellent, the fishing was not quite as good - to hot in the day / to cold as evening drew in.

No Luck on popped up squid. Not luck on hard bottom or popped up squid / mackerel hair rig. Live baiting a tilapia at about a meter and a half below the surface on a float did though get some interest using the rig above. I have never had a live bait so lively and after an hour i cut the braid that pierced it's tail and it swam of happily. Had 4 runs - 2 almost certain were Aligator Gar, but would not expect to really hook them with this rig. Had a run and the fish dropped a the bait and finally hooked into a good Chao Phraya but the hook pulled. I am in the process of changing my rods to a more forgiving type (thanks Fish Asia) so already have the remedy for that lost fish.

Next time I will float fish live and dead baits about 1.5 meters below the surface and see how I get on.

• January 11, 2016 8:13 AM
      • Thanks

Can't wait to hear the outcomes of this testing!

I'm not into livebaiting so I hope you get some encouraging results with floated deadbait.

I had an idea of a bit more active deadbaiting if the fish want a moving target; hook the tilapia trough the head with a hair and place a small lead into the hair so the bait sinks slowly head first when line is without tension. Fish it with the regular line through float fishing rig and just cast out, let it sit for a bit and then retrieve it with slow pulls so the baitfish comes up and falls slowly back towards bottom. This sometimes works for Pike. 

I hope you get a big one! 

Ps. What kind of rig should you have for gar? A quickstrike with two treble hooks?

• January 11, 2016 4:23 PM
      • Thanks

That type of dead baiting we call sink and draw in the UK, as you said good for Pike. Don't see many people using it anymore, remember as a kid my Dad having some great fish that way on the local pits.

On the treble side I have thought about trebles a lot for Thailand and personally have decided against them (except on lures). I saw an episode of River Monsters with Jeremy Wade and he discussed this exact thing saying on big fish single hooks are much stronger and wider gauge metal than trebles of an equivalent size. In the past I have had trebles bend on pike, let alone catfish, but so far me and guys I fish with have not had a single hook bend. I know there are heavy duty trebles on the market but they are abit big and clumsy for me.

Aligator Gar seem to grab the fish across the body like a pike, but the are a real bastard to unhook. For aligator gar I would hook a live or whole deabait through the back with a large single hook.

Completly understand that your not into livebaiting, so will put as much time as I can into catching with deadbaits.

• January 11, 2016 4:30 PM
      • Thanks

Sink and draw was a great tecnique. I had my fair share of pike out of them on the Thames., I must say I would prefer the good old pike compared to our local alligator gars!

• January 12, 2016 8:36 AM
      • Thanks

Pikes are cool but I wouldn't mind an experience with the Alligator. 

Haha I had no idea that sink and draw was an old UK techique! But thats not surprising since UK is the home of so many fishing innovations. 

By the way, What's the average size of those Chao Pharyas, Amazon Redtails and Alligator Gars in Go'B's?

• January 15, 2016 9:05 AM
      • Thanks

Had another short session the other night, tried dead bait on both rods. Half small mackerel (head) and chunk of mackerel on other  - no takes. Quiet night with nothing much moving. Switched to livebaits - no action.

Will try again on Sunday.

• January 15, 2016 12:19 PM
      • Thanks

Sorry forgot to say both rods were fished on float at about 1.5m depth. I have to say I still think the best technique for this water is float fished live bait at 1 - 2 m. I maybe I will try and float fish a smaller whole fish next time.

Fish Asia has had them out on bread, I think they moved the Swai out the way after being attracted by their movement. Although they are a predatory catfish they are actually omnivores and will basically eat anything. So bread is an alternative. Incidently because of the amount of bread going in, combined with the fact they are lazy feeders, Aligator Gar are also attacted to a bit of bread. If you just want some fun and a way to target as many species as possible then bread on the top is the way to go. I prefer to target specific species with my fishing, deadbaits on the bottom in the margins for the Red Tails, live or dead baits for Chao Phraya. Bread for Swai & Mekongs. But with this technique, especially static ledgering over a bed of bait, expect to blank more - also expect to catch the bigger fish when they do come!!!

• January 18, 2016 1:06 AM
      • Thanks

Well things came together today. Put out worm on a quiver tip ledger rod and had 10 small Talapia in about 30 mins - that's the live bait taken care of.

The lake was quiet and I really worked the bait around moving every 10 - 15 mins, covering about a quarter of the lake. The hotspot today was right in the middle. Arrived about midday and first Chao Phraya came about 5pm - 22lb 12oz (10.3kg), second at 7pm - 18lb 5oz (8.3kg) and last at 9.30pm - 20lb 6oz (9.2kg). All the fish came on the live bait rod fished at 1.5 meters, with not even a run on the deadbait one.

Two of the fish came from casting to fish topping or bait fish jumping, the second fish came on the drop just as the bait hit the water. So working the bait around and casting to showing fish works, don't worry the more I cast the more fish showed as if they are attracted to the movement and splashes.

Live bait is the way to go or if you don't like live baiting, you will take them on lure worked from surface to about 2-3 meters.

• January 18, 2016 1:12 AM
      • Thanks

Chao Phraya Catfish AKA Shark Catfish & Dog-Eating Catfish.

Icon Legend and Forum Rights
  • Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is closed
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or Cancel