Home » Forums » General Fishing Forum » Tackle, Technique & Bait Questions » Carp Fishing In Thailand
  • Topic:

Carp Fishing In Thailand

2 vote(s)
    • January 20, 2016 1:02 AM
      • Thanks

Carp Fishing In Thailand

Hi Everyone,

I am a Carp angler in the UK. I have fished most of the major waters over here and taken a few trips over to France. This year I am looking to come to Thailand and fish for the Siamese Carp, as you are probably aware, the biggest carp in the world and any of the other carp species.

First question is how big do they really grow? I know the world record is 137lb 7oz (60kg) out of Gillhams Resort, but I have heard that they grow and have been caught bigger than that.

Second question - Is Gillhams the best place to try, it holds the record but is it the place that holds the biggest.

Finally, do I fish with normal carp techniques that we use in the UK & what gear should I bring with me.

Many Thanks, Carpy Chris

• January 20, 2016 1:35 AM
      • Thanks

Re: Carp Fishing In Thailand

Hi Chris,

This is a good question. The largest Siamese Carp that I have evidence of is approx twice the current world record. Its was caught by a Thai fishing guide called Kik, who works for Jean-Francois Helias' Fishing Adventures Team out of Bung Sam Ran fishing park in Bangkok. There were no scales big enough on hand to weigh the fish but it was estimated to be just over 120kg or 265lb.

I have fished this lake and chatted to the people there on numerous occasions and this fish was one of the five original stocking of Siamese Carp put in about 30 years ago. Also only one other of the original five has come out and that was a different fish. So that gives you an idea of the degree of difficulty.

Personally I think any of the major lakes over here would give a good chance of a Siamese Carp, but as a carp angler myself (River Thames - I used to live on a boat), I would look towards Gillhams. Carp legend Rob Maylin and the Korda boys fish there and it is set up like a good UK carp venue, the carp take sweetcorn and bollies. They recommend the use of a marker float set up to find and fish over a sandy bottom in about 3m to 5m. So it will be just like home but without the shit weather.

• January 20, 2016 1:58 AM
      • Thanks

Cheers for the info mate

Have heard good thing bout Gillhams and having just looked at the website again looks perfect for me.

Have you ever fished there do I need to bring anything?

• January 20, 2016 2:10 AM
      • Thanks

No I have not had a chance to fish Gillhams Fishing Park, yet. It is top of my to do list of venues.

I live in Thailand, about 2 hours from Gillhams by plane. All my holiday time is taken up with trips back to see family in the UK.

On things to bring, if you look at the 'Ask Stuart' page on the Gillham's website.

http://www.gillhamsfishingresorts.com/ask-stuart/

• January 21, 2016 7:29 PM
      • Thanks

Carp are for sport only.  If  you've ever eaten one you know they taste like mud.  They're bottom fish scavengers.  Not good for eating at all.

• January 22, 2016 1:50 AM
      • Thanks

Jacob LaPrade said:

Carp are for sport only.  If  you've ever eaten one you know they taste like mud.  They're bottom fish scavengers.  Not good for eating at all.

Being a bottom feeder does not make a fish taste bad, lot's of things that feed on the bottom taste great. Also, Carp will feed in parts of the water column, from the bottom to the surface of their habitat.

Interesting article on eating carp here:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/earth/3353540/Carp-sustainable-food-you-can-keep-in-the-pond.html

Taken from the article:

"He has also taken steps to improve the taste of the fish, often described as "muddy", by transferring the fish to natural spring water a few weeks before harvest. The results have been excellent and when Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall visited as part of his River Cottage: Gone Fishing programme on Channel 4, members of a blind-tasting panel gave the creamy white-fleshed fish a comprehensive thumbs-up."

So it would seem that carp can be quite good eating and even in the UK, one of the Worldwide fortesses of animal rights (unless it's Halal then anything goes), they get eaten.

• January 22, 2016 11:45 AM
      • Thanks

Right the next person who suggests eating my beloved carp, gonna get an asswhooping boy.

• January 22, 2016 2:45 PM
      • Thanks

Tony Bignall said:

Right the next person who suggests eating my beloved carp, gonna get an asswhooping boy.

Sorry to offend! Hey, I didn't know. I was actually trout fishing when I caught one once. That was several years ago when I didn't know any better. :D

Icon Legend and Forum Rights
  • Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is closed
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or Cancel